Old May 5th 04, 04:21 PM
Diana Curtis

Default A question for lampworkers

I ask this question in total ignorance of the processes you go thru to make
lampworked beads. Almost total. I know there is melted glass involved, and
mandrels, and release stuff....and flame..
My question is, what are the most labor intensive type of beads? I see
florals, and stripes that appear pulled around on the surface, and bumps,
and worlds floating inside clear casings, animals, flowers and other
adornments sitting prettily on top of a bead, swirls, blips, frits.. and so
I wonder about what you find are the most time consuming processes involved.
It would be fine if you know an url that showed how some of these effects
are achieved, I dont mean to take your time away from actually making beads.
When Sooz posted the url for the clear beads with purple flowers and green
vines I was enchanted with them, and wondered about how hard it is to do
something like that opposed to .. for example.. some of Kalera's beads with
the ocean waves on them, or a sculptural piece such as the dalmation angel
with puppy.
One last question. How does the difficulty level factor into the price of
the bead?
Thank you for reading... I hope this sparks some interesting discussions...
Diana