Old January 3rd 12, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

Default Have you ever wanted to give away all your needlework gear?

On 12/12/11 10:02 PM, in article
, "Kalmia"
wrote:

I am seriously thinking along those lines. My fingers are getting
sore, and I really have no desire to do any projects. My walls are
full and there is no one I want to make anything for.
Should I wait a year, or just tote all my floss, Persian wool,
crochet needles etc to the next local craft show and give it all away?

When do you know you've had enough?

A good question. DH & I were discussing this while driving around DC on New
Year's Eve EVE... We went to visit Tom (Jefferson Memorial) - where we were
married (not so doable anymore), surprisingly several groups of people
wandering thru - at 11 pm. And this de-stashing came up.

I think when you just feel uninspired and like doing a project is work,
gives you no joy it's definitely time for a break. Our infamously not fully
unpacked rec room which is a large open space - part media, the other part
my sewing/stitchin' had me doing the "what do I do with this stuff"
thinking. And for me, I decided that the reality of projects which I have
no desire to do - or place to put if I do them - said - start divesting.
So, I've started sorting things - some going to friends I know will enjoy
them, others into a pile for donations somewhere.

I haven't had the full "don't want to do anything" feeling - but I have had
the stitching hiatus - a few times in the last 20 years. In the past 10,
I've found myself knitting when taking time off. And then found after a
while, my fingers itching to pick up my stitching - so off again.

Maybe look at what you have, and think about it - what really will you not
be able to finish/do, and what may in a while intrigue you. I wouldn't dump
it all too quickly - but you might winnow it down. For the sore fingers -
maybe some therapy gloves, shorter times of stitching, hand massages. I've
starting being more likely to do alternative finishing rather than framing.
Sounds like you should at the least take a break and relax. Maybe look at
the situation in a month or two, and revisit.

Regardless - think of having a happy new year with which to enjoy life.

Ellice