Old October 1st 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
[email protected]

Default ^10 - light reduction glazes

5string wrote:
I recently switched studios from one that did ^10 heavy-reduction to one
that does ^10 light-reduction. I tried a bunch of test tiles using glazes
from my previous studio (i.e., heavy reduction) and the results were (not
unexpectantly) disappointing. So..., any suggestions for some ^10 glazes
that do well with light reduction? Thanks.

Rick

A lot depends on how light is their light reduction. In general, all
the cobalt blues should do fine, and the rutile blues may work as well,
particularly if you put them in the areas of the kiln that get the best
reduction. They will be deeper, more intense in color with more
reduction.
Copper greens like Oribe, Ayumi,Willie Helix, can do well in light
reduction, but you should do a bunch of test tiles and put them
throughout the kiln to find out where they work best.
The Kakis like Tomato Red should work and tenmokus may be OK in light
reduction. The Mashiko type brownish reds may work as well.
The celadons usually need more reduction; but I would choose a celadon
that goes blue in oxidation as opposed to one that goes yellow. That
way, even if it doesn't reduce you get a color that is useable and
saleable. If you're lucky you might get the robins egg blue color with
flashes of red.
The barium yellows need good reduction to develop color, so I would
probably avoid those. All whites and oatmeals and light tans should do
fine.
Instead of copper reds, you might want to try a chrome/tin red in the
most oxidizing part of the kiln (probably the lowest part of the kiln
toward the front), It might work. Again, it depends on when and how
much they are reducing.
Ash glazes and fake ash glazes should work as well.
Some people only reduce early to get body reduction and keep the firing
neutral till the end when they do a bit more reduction. So, not knowing
their schedule, the best advice I can give is to make a bunch of test
tiles and put them in various parts of the kiln to see if they will
work for you and where they might work. You may find that the same
oribe will be fine on the lower shelf, in front but may go a bit liver
red in the hotter, more reducing parts of the kiln.

Regards,
June
http://www.angelfire.com/art2/shambhalapottery/