Old December 20th 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
David Billington

Default End-lit glass rod

David Billington wrote:
Adrian Godwin wrote:
Hi all,

I need to make a replacement for a decorative neon tube. It's about
3 feet long and has a series of simple bends in it.

This is what the tube's supposed to look like :

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2396&picno=19551

(the colour should really be a bit more pink than that photo shows).

It would be possible to get a neon shop to make me a new one, but I'll
also have to replace the transformer : it's going to turn out quite
expensive. I'm wondering if I can simulate the effect by using a
glass or even acrylic rod, and illuminating it from the end with a
high power LED or a halogen bulb.

What do you think ? Could I get such a rod to glow like a neon tube ?
Would I have to roughen the surface to get it to leak enough light ?

-adrian

Maybe you can make a similar alternative using electroluminescent
sheet or strip. Not used it myself but it has been around for a few
years now and seems to be readily available. From what I have read you
can buy sheet material a cut it to suit your needs. Might be worth
investigation, google on "electroluminescent sheet" or similar.

This stuff might do the trick http://www.glowire.com/