Old September 12th 03, 11:28 AM
Noons

wood:Jelutong and Meranti.

chisels:Kirschen.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
am
"Princebilly1" wrote in message ...
Ok i`m gonna start a wee thread if anyone is interested.

I wondered what is your favourite carving wood and favourite chisel or tools.
You can explain why if you like.

I am in Yorkshire and prefer English Walnut, the older the better. I recently
had some 500 year old walnut froma stately home in South England. I love this
because of the finish rather than the ease of carving. The grain has lovelly
dark stripes as well as a blend of deep purples and browns when french
polished.

My favourite chisel make is Henry Taylor from Sheffield ( England ) which can
be sharpened to a perfect edge every time.

Mallet is a lignum Vitae rounded mallet which is oiled weekly to prevent
cracking.

Any takers ?

Regards

Steve