Old November 25th 15, 01:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann[_2_]

Default The Flutterby Quilt

If the pattern originally called for 2.5" strips, how did it handle the center square, which in your version starts at 3"?

(I don't buy precuts, but I do adapt patterns.)

Nann

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 10:52:47 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have revised a pattern that uses 2 1/2 inch jelly rolls. Instead I wanted to use a (42 piece) 10" layer cake I just brought. There was only 2 or 3 prints that I liked, the rest was ugly as far as I was concerned. Will never buy another layer cake. I recommend cutting your own 10 inch squares. The jelly rolls you can kind of see what you are getting before buying but only makes a 6 1/2 square.
So using my layer cake squares, I cut my center 3 inch sq, then added 2 (3" by 3 1/2" long)sewn on each side of the 3 inch sq. On each side of this I cut 2 ( 3 1/2 wide by 10")to go on either side of the center strip and then trimmed the ends off. Now I snowball the top left and bottom right with 3 1/2 white squares with line drawn through the centers, sewn and cut off the corner leaving 1/4 inch seam. This makes an almost 9 inch square. Put these rows together so that you end up with the snowballed ends making a square too.
Hope I haven't confused you too much. I will add an inner 2 1/2 inch border and 5 1/2 inch outer border. You may want to try this quilt.
Sandy$