Old August 18th 03, 04:25 PM
chan

There is other kinds of powder transfer printers like laser photocopier.
The Xante copier is using a magnetic drum that has magnetized and
demagnetized spots on the drum surface seted by a magnetic head according
to the picture scanned or from digital files.

The magnetized spot will pick up "starter or developer" that is iron powder
making a brush to pick up toner, a power that attach to the brush.

Ceramic powder that is glaze powder and flux mixed with resin can be pickup
and thansfer to the media paper or decal surface.

The fuser is a heat roller for normal toner resin to melt and stick to the
paper.

That is to make a decal paper with the image.
Thansfer the decal image in 4 colored glaze to the cermaic glaze surface,
kind of onglaze color.
Fire the glaze in 800 deg C that melt the glaze to make color pictures.

Laser copier is moreless the same but the image is set by static charge
partially discharged by laser light.

The decal can be made by silk screen but more expansive. But most comercial
decal transfers are made like that.Of cause you can not request pictures of
your like without paying much money.

The problem is at the moment the powder was developed inside a Canon clc900
printer with a rip for color management. 5000 us to start with, and no
support from the printer manufacturer. Warrenty gone.

Will try with the support of laser copier or Xante friends to see if the
powder can work with some other printer cheaper.

That is what I know from a non pottery people. I am from the inkjet
transfer dye sub printing on ceramic field. Wanted to get deeper into real
glaze and ceramic.

Regards

K.T.Chan
(Bob Masta) wrote in
:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:25:40 +0100, Jake Loddington
wrote:

I had thought of ball-milling some e.g. cobalt carbonate and then
injecting it into my laser toner cartridge (when nearly empty) and
giving it a good shaking. It's a Star printer; a crib of the HP Laserjet
2.

Anyone tried anything like this?

The laser printer uses a magnet on a spiral screw to distribute toner
over the drum. so it wouldn't pick up any non-magnetic oxides. But
supposing it did (maybe dragged along with residual normal magnetic
toner, or just leaking out), then you would have the issue of what
your cobalt carbonate does to the drum. The drum is an exotic

photo-sensitive material, and you might poison it.

If your printer is the kind where the drum is replaced with the
toner cartridge, this might not be a big deal. On the other hand,
since the added oxide has no plastic in it, it won't fuse to the
paper except by association with normal toner. So the oxide
might be falling off and getting into places it shouldn't.
Seems rather risky, unless you are about to junk the
printer anyway... but I'd love to find out the results
of any experiments you conduct!

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A