Old August 18th 03, 01:30 PM
Bob Masta

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:25:40 +0100, Jake Loddington
wrote:

I had thought of ball-milling some e.g. cobalt carbonate and then
injecting it into my laser toner cartridge (when nearly empty) and
giving it a good shaking. It's a Star printer; a crib of the HP Laserjet
2.

Anyone tried anything like this?

The laser printer uses a magnet on a spiral screw to distribute toner
over the drum. so it wouldn't pick up any non-magnetic oxides. But
supposing it did (maybe dragged along with residual normal magnetic
toner, or just leaking out), then you would have the issue of what
your cobalt carbonate does to the drum. The drum is an exotic
photo-sensitive material, and you might poison it.

If your printer is the kind where the drum is replaced with the
toner cartridge, this might not be a big deal. On the other hand,
since the added oxide has no plastic in it, it won't fuse to the
paper except by association with normal toner. So the oxide
might be falling off and getting into places it shouldn't.
Seems rather risky, unless you are about to junk the
printer anyway... but I'd love to find out the results
of any experiments you conduct!

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A