Old January 16th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Default **PETER** A necklace I am proud of :)

"m4816k" wrote in message

That's because people are used to the fact that art is
something not anyone can do (and today's art visually suggests otherwise)
because of the complexity and necessary talent - take for instance
Rembrandt's "Night watch".

--------------------

I could rattle on for hours about the formalisms and imagery in Rembrant's
'Night Watch', which isn't the original name by the way.

The fact that the postures of the musketeers are from a drill book and not
from life and so represent an idealised image, the fanciful helmets, also
not from life but to add a 'classical element', the social pointers, such
as the black clothes worn by the captain, the significance of the pole arm
carried by the lieutenant and many many more.

The picture carries many more 'coded messages' than most modern art.

--
William Black

Time for tea.