Old May 14th 05, 03:09 PM
Matthew Hollands

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Matthew Hollands" wrote in
:

But I *do* like caterpillars... soft and fuzzy, inching
along. We have the brown ones with a black stripe in the
middle (around the belly section), pale yellow ones, and
white ones occasionally. Not wild about the green ones
with no fuzz (they're kind of scarey looking)... aren't
they cabbage or tomato caterpillars? I can't remember what
we used to call them, but we always used to think the brown
and black ones were Monarch Butterfly caterpillars.
*shrug*

the brown & black ones are called Wooly Bears. they actually
turn into a moth.
small smooth green caterpillers are Cabbage Loopers & the
huge ones are either Tomato or Tobacco Hornworms. i always
plant extra tomatos for the hornworms.
the Monarch caterpillers will only be found on milkweed & are
smooth (no fuzz) with black, white & yellow stripes. they have
'horns' on thier heads & tails.
my kid is allergic to Wooly Bears...
lee

Cool information, Lee. Thank you! ) Now that you mention it I do
remember seeing the Monarch caterpillars before, but not in years.... we
used to live not too far from a creek where we weren't supposed to play (but
how many kids ever do everything they're told?), so reading your
description, that is where I have seen them before. )

Gem