Old March 25th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
moose hunter

Default Kiln

better yet, go down to the flooring sore and pick up a box of cheap
unglazed tiles.

put your glaze on them, and test fire them in your kiln.

pourpose here is to put some working mass in the kiln, test your glazes

kill 2 bird w/ i stone as it were...

besure to get some kiln wash and apply it to any stilts you may use with
the tiles...

--- also,

spend the 10$ and buy a full range of test cones.
(I usally put in 3 cones one 1 cone low, one at my target temp, and one
cone high,

though for a blind run, id put 010 to 10 stepping every 3 or 4 cones and
then the 3 cones in the your target range.. (for firing to cone 5 blind,
i would put in a 010,06,02,2,4,5,6 cones.

this way you can see where the kiln really is firing to .
(set them up on those unglazed tiles, so the ones that puddle wont make
a permanant mess...

good luck,
welcome to the club

sam gueydan
Moose Studios Pottery,clovis ca

In article 8dc3be8d-9936-4c93-b1d7-
, says...
I really appreciate the info some of this is actually starting to make
sense. It seems I need to buy a few things before I start anyway.
Will also look into to observing. These are all good suggestions.

I had an electrician wire the house and install a plug especially for
the kiln -- it required a special outlet and wiring like that used for
a dryer, so I am not worried about that. I have the kiln in the
garage so I am also not worried to much about venting as I plan to
leave door open as much as possible. I am worried about the bricks
and/or elements if they were damaged but pottery place gave me name
and card for something called a kiln doctor who comes to the kiln and
fixes it -- just hope I can afford the doc.

Y'all have been great and I just hope I can find someone local who
will let me watch and be as nice about it. Thanks again, will let you
know how things go...