Old January 2nd 05, 07:55 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I Rememberin former times , that in kieboets meetings almost all the
women knitted [ and the odd man as well] , This was the only way to
get sweaters as times were hard . You got cupons for the amount of
wool and if you hadn`t a mate you were asked to knit for one of the
single man as well. Of course all kids had knited sweaters which were
handed down as soon as one outgrew them. And you saw woman knitting in
buses , in the waiting rooms etc... it is coming back now [ of course
many of us never stopped , only moderated the places we did it !!!] .
Strangely enough when we were in the USA 20 ++ years ago i sat and
knitted several times i was told by Usa women that it was Primitive
behaviour [ i am sure many of those are now Primitivized themselves
and knit as well !!!] , I know some women who are around my age who
still think so ,, that it sort of " isn`t Done"[ i am not speaking
about Church ,and such places but waiting rooms etc]. There was a
time that even the feminist movement saw it as a form of enslaving
one`s time ,, now that we can relax some of our Feminist idea [ not
that we have all the rights] , we can expect other to understand that
this is a FREE CHOICE of us to use those minutes or hours , with doing
something we DO ENJOY , as well as it is making some essential to our
way of life ,,,
mirjam