Old August 21st 03, 07:09 AM
Peggy

"Crafts Reports" magazine has some good articles about photographing crafts
and jewelry at www.craftsreport.com

"MSteelman" wrote in message
What is a good way of taking jewelry pictures with a digital camera? I

can't
seem to get them "nice" enough. I am really picky )
My apartment has very bad light so I have been taking the pieces outside

and
photographing them on a white sheet of paper. It works better than my

older
pictures, which were very dark.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

If you have a macro setting on your camera, then try using that. But you

still
can't get closer than a foot or so. Try lighting them from both sides with
flourescent lights and be sure to turn off your flash. I photograph mine

on
black velvet and, unless they are very dark pieces that looks really

classy. If
they ARE dark, I usually use an off-white sheet. Also, if you have a

scanner,
you can use that; it gets REALLY close up and in focus nicely. Just place

the
piece on the scanner glass (carefully) and place a black cloth over it.

You may
not be able to get the scanner lid closed all the way... that's what the

cloth
is for.

Good luck!

Thanks for Looking!

"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there

is no
need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." ~~ John Kenneth
Galbraith