Old December 21st 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting, rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Default Bernina: Used 1530 vs new 220

On Dec 20, 8:33 am, wrote:
Hello all,
... portion snipped ...
so the question is would a used 1530 be better or worse
than a brand new 220?
... portion snipped ...

Thanks, and Merry Christmas,

I cannot say anything about the 1530, as I am totally unfamiliar with
it.

I purchased an Activa 240 around 2 1/2 years ago. It has been a
reliable little machine, which I take to classes, do applique and
machine piecing. I purchased the machine for the first two items --
the latter was a wonderful bonus. I am also learning how to free
motion quilt on some small quilts. When I took my machine class for
it, they told me it had a full size motor -- same one as in the larger
machines.

However, for a long term investment, the machine is missing a few
things.
* As some said, it has a smaller harp than other sewing machines. As
I have RSI to my right wrist, it hurts too much for me to push large
quilts around for machine quilting, so I don't ever plan to do
anything larger than a lap quilt. Still, it would be easier to push
even a small quilt around if there was more space in the harp area.
If you have another machine on which quilting would be done, then this
would not be an issue.
* It cannot use the BSR, but one can learn FMQ without it. I must
confess I am having a particularly hard time learning FMQ, but that
may just be because I'm not very coordinated :-). The 240 can use
most of the other feet that the Aurora 430/440 and Artista 630/640/730
do. Of course it cannot use the wider 9mm ones.
* The machine only has two motor speeds; there are times at which I
wish for more, but it is not something that would deter me from
getting this machine again.
* It does not have a presser foot pressure adjustment, but I think
that is also missing on the Auroras.
* It cannot do machine embroidery -- an option on the Auroras. While
you may never become interested in doing that, it would be available
if you ever change your mind about it.

Please note:
* The 220 has snap on feet. I think the solid regular feet contribute
to more accurate sewing, so that is something you might want to
consider. It is an additional cost to get the solid feet on the 220.
* The knee lift is an extra on the 220 -- it comes with the 240.
* The 240 has a brighter light -- optional on the 220.

Bev in TX