Old December 20th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default Bernina: Used 1530 vs new 220

I'm not at all familiar with those two Bernina models. There is a 1230
here - she's been millions of miles and has gotten a bit willful about her
computer settings but really - nobody ever sews that much on one dear SM.
There are two Bernina 155 here. There are just grand for quilting - unless
they ever come out with one with a bigger harp. I love them dearly and
think "Nothing sews like a Bernina, nothing". Well made, easy to
understand, tolerant of about anything. Apparently there's just a heap of
difference in the model numbers. Polly

"John" wrote in message
On Dec 20, 9:33 am, wrote:

I owned a 220 for a couple of months and was less than pleased with
it. The Electronics fried on it twice and needed to be replaced under
warrenty. The size of the Harp, or opening is too small to do anything
but small wall hanging quilts. If you try to push a full sized bed
quilt through the opening you will have nothing but trouble. Assuming
the machine you are getting is in good shape, it will be of greater
use for your wifes quilting needs. It is a very good machine and is
still used and loved by many avid quilters. The The 220 might be
useful for taking to sewing class and piecing or clothing
construction, but not for any serious quilting of large quilts. I
traded the one I bought back to the dealer for a 1008 mechanical
machine and was glad to get rid of it. I would stick with the one you
got, and be happy that you didn't get the 220. I have another Bernina
model that is computerized, and that one works fine. It was made in
the Swiss factory, and the 220 was made in the Thailand Factory, that
is opperated for Berina, and makes the lower end machines. The feet
that come with the 220 are not the best feet either. They are cheap
snap-on feet and not the single piece cast feet that Bernina is famous
for. So for my money, I would give her the one you got and I think she
will love it.

John