Old November 7th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Default Silver question.

George wrote:
Hi.
I have repair shop that I have established since 1982, and I have
encountered many difficulties.
but I need a technical answer about silver oxidation.
Recently I have received many silver items to polish, some of them with
Ecoat, antitarnish, Ecoat with antitarnish.
usually I deep them into potassium cyanide (commercial grade) and it does
the job to remove oxidation, like chains, rings, etc. but these items they
even resist to cyanide, I am doubting about anti tarnish that aged to a
point that itself changed the color, and prevent cyanide acid to do it's
job.
Need to hear your experience about this issue.
George.

If Ecoat? is some sort of lacquer based cover painted on, the youll need
to strip it off with say methelene chloride.

If however its say rhodium plating then a rhodium plating stripper will
be needed.
Dont know of one myself. yuoll have to look it up on google.