Old May 22nd 10, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

Default heat n bond or steam a seam?

On May 22, 11:45*am, "Kate in MI" wrote:
I actually prefer Wonder Under -- but I would suggest on any of the larger
pieces you do the following regardless of which brand you select.

1) *Trace your piece onto the fusible.
2) *Cut out 1/8" on the OUTSIDE of your drawn line.
3) *Cut out 1/8" to 1/4" on the INSIDE of your drawn line.
4) *Then fuse to you fabric.

By leaving a bit of the fusible on the OUTSIDE of your drawn line -- when
you cut out your appliqué piece -- you will be certain to have fusible all
the way to the edge of your piece.

By removing the fusible from the center of your appliqué piece -- you will
remove the "heaviness" that you sometimes have with fusibles. *It will not
only make the quilt softer -- but easier to quilt if you plan to do any
quilting inside your appliqué pieces (I usually do an outline or an *echo or
something like that on the larger pieces.)

I've done many fusible appliqué quilts. *The early ones I didn't remove the
"inner fusible" on the pieces and they are still a bit stiff. *The more
recent quilts have it removed... and they are nice and soft and huggable!

--
Kate in MIhttp://community.webshots.com/user/K_Groves

"claudia" wrote in message

Good morning everyone

Here I am again with a question.

I will be embarking on an applique project to make a baby quilt for a
friend of mine (as soon as she tells me she's pregnant!). I have found
the perfect quilt patten for her (teddy's playhouse) but it involves
applique (Lots and lots and lots). So this gives you an idea of how
special this friend is to me, as some of you may remember me saying
that I really REALLY don't like applique!.

So here's my question; which is better/which shoul I use, heat n bond
or steam a seam???
Preferences? Why?

It makes no difference to me; I will have to buy whichever online so
hit me with the recommendations!

Thanks

Claudia

Kate, I think I'm getting your instructions. Does that mean that you
are left with maybe 1/2" of fusible just going around the edge then?
Nothing in the middle of the applique? I have a sheep applique quilt
on my 'to do' list and will have to try that method. Donna