Old July 26th 03, 03:28 PM
SlinkyToy

http://www.shetland-wool-brokers.zetnet.co.uk/

Just between you, me, and the 3k other readers of this list, J&S is thought
to be the supplier for VY yarns (ie, AS yarns).

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Thank you Slinky)

I shall investigate further Is there a website or phone number please?

Jamieson&Smith Woolbrokers in Lerwick on Shetland do mail order and

their
stuff is to die for. Order a color card and a single hank of say,

natural
white jumper weight. Then you'll know the hand of the yarn AND have the
entire color line at your disposal.

Michelle
Who has an entire bin of J&S at UK prices thanks to a friend near

Reading
and who needs to start knitting it up one of these years

PS -- the one "wool shop" I found in the Hampshire/Reading area when I

was
there a few years ago was populated largely by tacky handicrafts and a

huge
woman who smoked like a chimney. All the wool were wee DK skeins in two
bins directly under the worst of the smog. I bought one at 30p so that

could say I had some British yarn. Then I heard about J&S...

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Claire" wrote in message
I must admit that I am awfully envious of you guys having so many

places
around you that sell yarn. It (knitting) doesn't seem to really have
caught
on over here (UK) quite as much and finding a small independent yarn

shop
is
like looking for hen's teeth.

I am in Scotland Claire and the only place I can get decent wool is in

John
Lewis. I always wait for my annual trip down to Yorkshire and stock

up
then. There is a super wool shop in Thirsk and when I was down there

few
weeks ago they had a sale)))

And even those are more haberdashers than wool
shops so have very little choice. My nearest is nearly an hour away

which
is
a nuisance when I find that I don't have the right sized needles or

have
lost my stitch holder (yet again) or just have the urge to satisfy

my
wool-obsessed consumerism. Apart from the occasional guilty foray

into
John
Lewis' I've been trying to support small businesses by using the old
fashioned wool shops but have had so little luck finding a good one

since
moved that today I went to the Hobbycraft superstore and have now

been
converted to the Dark Side. There was so much choice! (The

department
store

Where is there a Hobbycraft shop?? I am not sure we get them up

here I
would love to visit one though next time I am south of the border.

had given over half the wool space to garden furniture so I had to

try
the
big out-of-town shops)

It is very good to support local shops but you first have to find

them

Ophelia