Old October 7th 04, 01:54 AM
Coggo

Zander,

Glad to help.

I can understand having one element showing between shelves for direct
radiation, but not two - seems a bit over the top. However, since you are
venting, convection tends to replace radiation as the main method of heat
transmission anyway.

You will find half shelves are far more useful than full shelves, and much
easier to handle as well!

Most kiln manufacturers drill holes in their lids for kiln venting, and
Orton recommend it for installing their kiln vent. Have a look at
http://www.ortonceramic.com/faq_show.asp?Key=9&CatID=2

The site www.ortonceramic.com contains a lot of good stuff if you haven't
browsed around there before.

Sorry, I have no experience with that controller at all in Australia. You
might like to contact my good friend Tony Rodriguez, a kiln technician in
San Antonio, at
GSM_ENT (uppercase 2) msn.com - he may have some direct experience with it.

Regards

Dave

"Zander" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Coggo!

All of your answers are most appreciated. I only have 3 full shelves and
2
half shelves at the moment, maybe investing in some more half shelves is
in
order. Regarding 1" posts: I heard or read somewhere that 2 elements
minimum between shelves is a good idea, but if 1" posts between shelves
can
be used that would great, even though that would be rare, in reality 3"
posts would probably be average.

For some reason I'm adverse to drilling holes in my lid... not to sure
why?
So far I just leave my peep hole open at first (about halfway) then close
it
when it gets hotter.

I'm looking at a bartlett v6-cf controller - any experience with this
unit?

Thanks for the web link!