Old September 3rd 04, 01:34 PM
Brad Panek

When attaching handles I score both ends with a wire brush and then
apply vinegar. My Ceramics teacher recommended vinegar and it works
great. I'm not sure why but it helps bind the pieces and the stick
well. Any type of vinegar will do. After attaching the handle I place
the whole piece into a plastic bag and forget about it for at least a
week, then remove from the bag and let it dry.

"D Kat" wrote in message ...
I wait until my piece is hard enough to handle without warping it (somewhat
softer than leather and up to leather hard), and then pull the handles. I
actually prefer my handles pulled on the pieces now. If you haven't done it
or seen it - Basically take a partially pulled handle that is about 3" long
and attach to the piece and then pull from there. I then let the handle sit
up a but (dry while I work on others or do something else - not long), wax
it and the wrap it up even if I put it in the damp closet.

Donna

"Marmaj40" wrote in message

thanks, Donna, I learned to do that in my beginning class, and I have been
doing that. When making the handle you you all make it at the same time

you
make the cup, etc. or do you wait until the piece is leather hard, and

trimmed?
Then attach it and put wax on / and then wrap all together?II
I think I forgot to tell you a tip I just learned. Paint wax on the

joints
of where you join one piece to another after you join them. That will

slow
down the drying. Donna