Old August 17th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Steve Ackman

Default Graphics formats {was Searching For A Pattern: Supperman...

I finally found a server that carried the binary.

For those who didn't see the binary and are still
curious, this is the pattern in question:
http://wizard.dyndns.org/graphics/Super-logo.png

If Dave is still reading, I'd like to point out that
if you follow this pattern "verbatim," this piece will
break at the narrow point:
http://wizard.dyndns.org/graphics/Super-logo.a.png

-----
Given the age of the version of Agent used, that BMP
would have been UUencoded to 758732 bytes of bandwidth
for the graphic + ~500 bytes for the headers.

As the original format *.BMP, it's 550674 bytes.
Converting to *.PNG, it only takes up 18797 bytes.

For future reference when posting to binary groups or
even to web pages, remember that BMP is a microsoft
graphics format that's essentially raw bitmapped
pixels; no compression.

PNG (Portable Network Graphics) uses a lossless
compression algorithm so there's absolutely no loss
in detail yet the PNG file can be as little as...
well, the example above reduces the filesize by a
factor of more than 29! That's really significant for
people on dialup and/or metered access.

PNG is the best format for patterns, line drawings,
diagrams, etc. where you need the smallest filesize
while retaining full detail.

Now for a real puzzler, Super-logo.a.png is actually
smaller than Super-logo.png.

--
☯☯