Old August 25th 09, 08:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Default how to dispose of 22k testing solution?

Peter W. Rowe wrote:

Given the small quantity of what you need to dispose of, simply rinse it down
the drain with lots of water.

NO! NEVER ADD WATER TO SUCH A POTENT ACID SOLUTION, UNLESS YOU WANT TO
WITNESS A VIOLENT ACID EXPLOSION!

I HAVE SEEN THE RESULT OF THAT. A PERMANENTLY DISFIGURED FACE OF MY
BLIND CHEMISTRY PROFESSORS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF AMSTERDAM.

The main thing to disposing of such acids is
copious dilution with water.

NO, NO, NO. NEVER EVER ADD WATER TO ACID.

In Germany we had a standard Goldsmith's rhyme to rtemember what to do:

"Erst das Wasser, dann die Saure.
Sonst passiert das Ungeheure."

(First water, then Acid, otherwise the gruesome will happen)

In the US we are taught to remember AAA (Always Add Acid)

That done, it becomes essentially harmless. If
you had more than a tiny amount, you might want to dump it down the toilet, not
the kitchen drain, since there it's vastly diluted long before it hits any metal
plumbing (like sink strainers, etc.)

Are you out of your ****ing mind Peter?!?

Or, you could if you wished, neutralize
the acid first by slowly adding a solution of water and baking soda.

If you wished? This is the only way to do it. And no water of course!

But that's
really overkill for this. Plain dilution with water is enough.

Are you nuts giving this kind of advice to a novice, who knows nothing
about these matters!

No matter what amount, ALWAYS do it the right way. Dilute first with
baking soda, then dilute further with water.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com