Old November 16th 05, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Röhmertopf?

They are not supposed to be glazed. They are supposed to be soaked in water
before putting food in them and then put in the oven. It is part of the
cooking method. The food is steamed and then dry roasted which is a bit
odd. I found that I wasn't fond of mine. I have heard good things about
the tagines mentioned.

Donna

"Bubbles" wrote in message

"Monika Schleidt" wrote in message

I had an "original" Römertopf, the bottom part was glazed on the inside,
the top not glazed at all. I used it a few times, and found that it
doesn't do anything which an ordinary pan wouldn't do, it only takes a
whole lot longer. It take hours until ordinary vegetables are done, hours
until meat is tender, if you think of the energy it takes in an electric
oven, i decided, it wasn't worth it and got rid of it again.
If the bottom part is unglazed, it absorbs fat and becomes rancid after a
short time, hence all the Römertöpfe you get really cheat at fleamarktes.
I decided, it was just some kind of fad, and gave up on them.

If the original can be glazed, then so can my "copy". I also like the idea
of hygenic surfaces for food. Might be that temperature kills the bugs,
but I still see a porous surface - yaknow?

I can agree with your arguments, Monika - and also another that this thing
is going to take a lot of space in some cupboard. I have forwarded the
arguments to my husband, and will just keep the whole thing from drying
until we decide what to do. I have non-poison glazes only, so will use one
of the 1000C ones on the inside bottom.

You are supposed to soak the whole thing in water for ages before use -
and then soak for 10-15 minutes before each use - put in a cold oven - and
never on a cold surface when taking out of the oven. Sounds pretty
delicate to me! Hehe!

I'll see what I do - but thank EVERYONE for their ever fantastic

Marianne