Old January 18th 05, 02:46 AM
chrisT

It depends on how large your piece of wood is. I dryed a piece of
maple in the microwave oven in about half an hour. Each time I heated
it for one minute the water just ran out the end and a few checks in
the wood swelled shut.
Depending on the wood type. I understand Oak doesn't have the same
capillaries and can explode if heated too hot.
I have dryed slabs of walnut by placing them in a plastic bag and
sprinkling them with rock salt. Be sure the opening is sloped downward
because as the salt draws out the water it will puddle if not drained.
Checking was never a problem.

On 17 Jan 2005 12:30:05 -0600, "Dan Farrow"
wrote:

Would anyone care to comment on the best way to dry maple without cracking?
I've had mixed success.

Thanks,
Dan