Old July 15th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
me

Default How Much Stash is too much

what a question....lol.....while i don;t have a stash of kits i do have a
collection of books of charts and books of instructions, and a cq stash to
beat all.....not including the fabric for sane quilting which would fill a
smallish shop- threads beyond threads and i still don;t have the threads i
would like....i think the words " too much" are very laden, not only with
cultural meaning, but also psychological meaning...what seemed like a fine
and dandy amount 10 years ago is wayyyyyyyyyy too much now. What also seemed
like a fine amount before i developed a buddhist practice, now seems quite
excessive. perhaps the real answer won;t be untill we have to move to
someplace smaller or find ourselves unable to stitch at all etc etc....or
even when our families have to dispose of what we were unable to resist.

I do feel that i have too much fabric- not only could i not use it up in
this lifetime, but if i started piecing now and worked 8 hours 7 days a
week,I would probably not get through my fabric stash.

Probably the same with the thread stash- i could embroider now till
whenever, and still have stuff leftover....but does that stop me from
wanting a collection of flat silk to use in Japanese embroidery? Not a
chance.

ktj

wrote in message
I confess I am a stash-a-holic, and the wonderful resource of the
internet and eBay is fueling my addiction.

I have kits, charts, fabric and threads that would take me several
lifetimes to get through, but I see a CA Wells kit and I haunt the
auctions until the end, in the hope that I will further enhance my
stash. The recurring theme in my collection seems to be kits only
usually available as class pieces, from classes that I am never likely
to be able to attend (Western Australia seem to be thought of as far
too remote for most tutors) and charts of European origin often now
oop. I am unsure if I am addicted to the thrill of the chase or the
desire to acquire the pieces - a proxy bidder has at least made the
process unemotional.

I have also developed tendonitis in my right arm, and this is making
my stitching even more infrequent, but I still have the desire to
enhance my stash.

THis all begs the question - how much stash is too much?

Joanne in Perth, WA