Old May 4th 05, 03:26 AM
William Black

"Chris Hackett" wrote in message

No. The worshipful society of goldsmiths may be intimately involved

with
it all, but if
I recall my history (feel free to correct me, you brits) , it was the

Royalty itself,
somewhere around the 12th century

The origin dates back to 1300 under Edward 1 when he used
the Leopard's head as a mark.

But these didn't actually differentiate between metals.

For example some fifteenth century silver gilt vessels owned by York Minster
(made in William Snawsel's workshops) were thought for many years to be
gold. It wasn't until displacement tests were done about ten years ago that
they realised they were actually silver gilt.

For anyone's who's interested William Snawsel's house in York has been
rebuilt and is called 'Barley Hall'. Snawsel was Alderman of the York
Goldsmith's guild, and both mayor and MP for the city at various times.
However no workshops yet, they borrowed my medieval set of tools (and me)
when they did a working display.

--
William Black

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
Barbeques on fire by chalets past the headland
I've watched the gift shops glitter in the darkness off Newborough
All this will pass like ice-cream on the beach
Time for tea