Old February 26th 10, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

Default Results of those Long, Cold February Days.

John wrote:
On Feb 23, 9:54 pm, "BEI Design" wrote:

snip

I had no idea that a kilt was that complex.

Nor did I! ;-}

I have made a
number of
pleated skirts for my wife, but never anything that
complex. But like
any number of specialized clothing types, there is a lot
of technical
undercover stuff that you wouldn't know about unless you
did that sort
of thing, regularly. That looks like a fun, if demanding
project.

It really was, my biggest problem I was working with a
deadline, and barely made it under the wire. I liked it so
much I am planning on making my son-in-law a kilt as soon as
he settles on a tartan.

If I
had any nieces or other relatives, who were into the
highland fling
"thing", I would like to take a shot at doing one of
them, but sadly
all of those younger relatives are layabouts, and not
interested.

Ah, but you don't need a youngster involved with competitive
Highland dance!! I bet if you tried you could locate a
Highland Games in your area, and wear one yourself. You
don't have to have Scots heritage to wear a kilt!

wonder if the same sort of thing pertains to Irish dance
costumes.
That would be closer to my own heritage, than the kilt.
But from
outward appearances, the costumes do differ. The Irish
tend to be
flared out, and not pleated.
John

Irish dance costumes are, err, ummm, "gaudy", I guess would
be the kindest way to put it:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ed=0CDIQsAQwBQ
I cannot tell you how happy I am that DGD took up Highland
dance instead of Irish dance!

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx