Old March 11th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default a thought or two on this "stitch-n-bitch" legalities controversy

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 05:19:51 GMT, (Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

I wondered ? Bitch was never such a Nice name ,,,, and people used to
be insulted if called bitch ...

Bitch as a noun is still considered insulting, but bitch as a verb was
never insulting. "To bitch" means to complain loudly, and it was
always used without offense, even when I was young (when language was
a lot more constrained). People say, "Quit your bitchin' " or "Ain't
that a bitch?" (meaning "isn't that something really worth complaining
about?")

"Stitch and bitch" gives the impression of a group of people sitting
in a group, knitting and complaining about things, maybe about their
jobs or their spouses. It doesn't sound insulting.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.