Old November 6th 03, 04:41 PM
Jeanne Rhea

Dawn, if you need something to put a satin or matte finish on the clay, try
Golden's Polymer Varnish with UVLS. It comes in Satin, matte and gloss and
I love the stuff.

Now before I go further, this is all my opinions from my testing and
experience up to now.

Golden Polymer Varnish comes in Matte, Satin and Gloss so Flecto-
Varathane just lost a customer. I much prefer Golden Polymer
Varnish over Flecto. I can see no advantage to using Flecto now
over this product. Golden flows better, more consistent thickness,
has a lot fewer bubbles, does not separate out so it has to have
heavy duty mixing. It really does appear to become part of the clay
with a little heat and very hard. I think it is harder to scratch
it than the Flecto---although I cannot be certain. I tried to test
this, but this is a very hard thing to test accurately.

The Golden Polymer Vanish matte is the first
truly matte finish product that I have ever found for use on polymer
clay. It is sooooo matte that I cannot even describe it! So go get
some. I cannot believe I have
hassled with Flecto when this product was out there! The bottles
say that the Golden can be thinned with water 20-40% for brushing
and up to 100% if spraying. I tried to thin it, but like it as it
is better. And the different types---gloss, matte, and satin can be
combined to get the perfect sheen you are looking for. For more info
http://www.goldenpaints.com/polvar.htm

--

http://www.heartofclay.com
eBay auctions
"Dawn" wrote in message
. com...
This was the final bake just to add the TLS.. Everything had already been
baked several times. I used the same method for baking as I always do and
had done on this figure. They were alone in the oven and I was using the
same batch of clay that other figures had come from. The I tried a higher
temperature bake on some test clay. The clay was scorched around the edges
but the area that I applied the TLS mix to was still matte.

--
Dawn Stubitsch
http://www.thumbprintkids.com
"Sjpolyclay" wrote in message
Dawn, was anything else in the oven with it?

Maybe you have checked all the baking variables , though I'm still

wondering
about a short temp flux---high heat does sometimes melt the clay into
shiny-ness before scorching it.

Next would be the clay itself---was it sitting around, or fresh out of

the
wrapper? Did you try the reoccuring experimental pieces out of the very

same
clay?
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery