Old March 21st 04, 05:02 AM

alan morgan wrote:

Just retired and would like to take up pottery aas a pastime or hobby. Any
ideas please. Web sites, books etc. Alan.

Dear Alan Morgan:
I have been asked this question a few times. Here is a reply for books. I
have a few websites links on my website that should also peak your interest.
Russ Andavall
www.firegodarts.com
HPS wrote:

Dear Russell

I am looking for a book (about ceramics and design) for a person who is
studying ceramics and design. My own knowledge in the field is very
limited and therefore I decided to ask an expert. If there is any kind
of bestseller or "bible" I would like to hear about it. I would
appreciate any suggestions you could give me (the book is for a
present).

All the best,

Hans Peter Sørensen, Aarhus University.

Dear Hans:
There are several good informational books on the study of ceramics.
Your University Library ought to have some of these. They are English
titles.
Ceramics a Potter’s Handbook by Glenn Nelson Published by
Holt,Rinehart and Wilson
Pottery on the wheel by Elsbeth S. Woody Published by Farrar, Staus
and Giroux
Stoneware & Porcelain by Daniel Rhodes Published by Chilton Company
Clay and Glazes for the Potter by Daniel Rhodes Published by Chilton
Company
Pottery by Michael Cardue Published by Chilton Company
A Potters’s Book by Bernard Leach Published by TransAtlantic Arts Inc
Ceramic Formulas: The Complete Compendium by John W. Conrad Published
by MacMillan
Ceramic Techniques by Pravoslav Rada Published by The Hamlyn
Publishing Group
Techniques of the World’s Great Masters of Pottery and Cermaics Hugo
Morley-Fletcher
Published by Chartwell Books, Inc
Pottery without a Wheel by F. Carlton Ball Published by Van Nostrand
Reinhold
Shoju Hamada A Potter’s Way and Work by Susan Peterson Published by
Harper & Row
Spanish Folk Cermaics by Artigas Published by Editorial Blume
Pottery Glazes by David Green Publised by Watson Guptill
Centering

In addition to these books you should check out my website and some of the
other websites on the internet. You can find a lot about ceramics in the
newsgroup too. Ok so you have your technical reading list for this
semester for this class. There are also some literary works and historical
tresses that relate to Ceramics... like The Rubyad of Omar Kayam. History
of Chinese Art. Japanese art. Ceramics of Mexico. Ceramics of the Pueblo
Indians. Russian Floor tile. Greek Vase Painters. Roman ceramic aqueduct
construction....

Here are some of my webpages to visit:
http://members.tripod.com/~andavall/Teapots.html

http://members.tripod.com/~andavall/GlazeMaterials.html

http://members.tripod.com/~andavall/index.html

Here are some websites by others and other resources...

http://digitalfire.com/education/people/hewitt.htm

http://cgi.feedme.org:8080/cgi-bin/f...stserv.clayart

http://www.wiseowlceramics.com/chat/

http://apple.sdsu.edu/ceramicsweb/glazedatabase.html