Old November 22nd 05, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default walking foot necessary?

Roberta Zollner wrote:

You only want the walking foot for the long straight lines. And no, it isn't
essential, especially if you baste very closely (I use 1" brass safety
pins.)
My Pfaff has a built-in top transporter (= walking foot), doesn't yours?

Um... I don't know. I'll dig out the manual and find out. I'm new to
this all, very new...

Pfaff makes a big foot, like a giant darning foot, for free-motion quilting,
and it can't be very expensive. Go try one out in the store and see if you
like it.

Good idea.

In any case, if this is your 1st venture into machine quilting, make
yourself a small practice sandwich about 12" square to try out thread
tensions and free motion. I find that I reduce the top tension quite a bit,
especially if using invisible thread.

I'll do that.

--
SML