Old November 22nd 05, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default walking foot necessary?

You only want the walking foot for the long straight lines. And no, it isn't
essential, especially if you baste very closely (I use 1" brass safety
pins.)
My Pfaff has a built-in top transporter (= walking foot), doesn't yours?
Pfaff makes a big foot, like a giant darning foot, for free-motion quilting,
and it can't be very expensive. Go try one out in the store and see if you
like it.
In any case, if this is your 1st venture into machine quilting, make
yourself a small practice sandwich about 12" square to try out thread
tensions and free motion. I find that I reduce the top tension quite a bit,
especially if using invisible thread.
Roberta in D

"Sara Lorimer" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:1h6f5c3.dfun5h1wc98kiN%que.sara.saraDELETE@gm ail.com...
I'd like to machine quilt the quilt I'm working on now (my second), as I
don't have the time or patience to hand-quilt and hand-tying doesn't
really go with the way the quilt looks so far. I don't have a walking
foot for my sewing machine. Are they really necessary for machine
quilting? I have a Pfaff Hobby, which I'm happy with, but it isn't the
fanciest of machines.

--
SML