Old March 19th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default New-To-Me Sewing Machine (Really Really LONG...or short)

In article 2UhTf.37921$oL.17773@attbi_s71,
"KJ" wrote:

Sandy, what made the 630 more attractive to you than the 440? (I'm
compiling a wish list.)
KJ

Kathyl, I really loved the 440, so that should tell you how I feel about
the 630! Either one of them is a great machine. However, you asked what
made the 630 more attractive to me.

First, I prefer knobs to buttons, and the 630 has knobs stitch length
and stitch width, while everything on the 440 was buttons. Second, I
love the touch screen that the 630 has; it's very intuitive to use and
conveniently laid out.

Third, the 630 has a Personal Program, which is really cool. With that,
I can save altered stitches (like the one I use for putting pieces of
batting together quickly) or combinations of stitches (for example, the
lettering I might use on a quilt label, or a decorative combination).
This Personal Program is saved even after turning off the machine and is
easy to edit or to delete if I change my mind about parts of it.

Fourth, there's a safety feature I can (and do!) turn on to prevent
trying to do zigzag stuff when I have the wrong stitch plate or presser
foot attached.

There are more features that this model has (as well as more fancy
stitches), but most of them weren't really factors in my decision.
Actually, the first three things I listed above were the "biggies".

One *disadvantage* of the 630 as compared to the 440 was that it didn't
include the walking foot or the BSR -- but those are available
separately. HTH!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1