Old May 3rd 09, 10:36 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Square Peg[_2_]

Default Need fabric recommendation for lawn targets

On Sat, 02 May 2009 11:30:43 -0500, Bill Boyce
wrote:

Square Peg wrote:
I would like to make several targets for practicing golf shots. These
would be circles of various sizes from from about a 1-yard radius up
to a 5-yard radius -- possibly a bit larger.

I have been using rope, which works fairly well, but it's difficult to
lay out the rope in a nice circle and keep it that way. It occurred to
me that if I could make circles out of some heavy fabric like a
canvas, it might retain the circle shape a little better.

My plan is be to get a piece of fabric, cut the fabric into arcs of
the correct radius, then sew then together into a circle.

I would appreciate comments or suggestions on:

1. What's the best fabric to get? My first thought was canvas. There
is a canvas shop near here that makes tents and awnings. I was in
there several years ago. They have lots of canvas. I plan to go ask
them what they recommend. Is there another fabric I should consider?

2. Will my wife's sewing machine handle the canvas?

3. What's the best way to connect the arcs? I was just going to
overlap them about an inch and sew along both edges, maybe using a
zig-zag stitch that goes over the edge.

4. How do I finish the edges? Do I fold the edge over and sew it down
or sew to edge tape (bias tape?)?

5. How wide whould the strips be? I was thinking 2-3" for the smaller
circles and maybe 1" wider for each yard of radius.

Anything else I should know about or think about?

Thanks

Puhleeze people! This is obviously a troll. (And one with a lot of "bites")

With golf, the purpose is to put the ball in the hole or at least come
as close to it as possible. You DON'T don't use a circle to aim at; you
aim at a flagstick. So you stick a flag in the ground and go for it. A
stick will serve perfectly.

Well, you are a silly little twit, aren't you?

The targets are for practicing chips and pitches. Judging from your
comments, you know nothing whatsoever about golf, so let me educate
you (assuming that is even possible). With both chips and pitches, you
do *NOT* aim at the pin. This is a common mistake. You aim at a spot
short of the pin so that the ball will roll to the pin. For chips,
it;s well short of the pin. For pitches, closer. If you don't believe
me, go ask any pro.