Old August 29th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Default Dressmaking Pattern Explanation

Crafty_SewNsew wrote:
I have just bought a dressmaking pattern of a bridesmaid dress to make
for my daughter. I am in the process of buying the fabric to make it
& have come across a small problem that I would appreciate some help
with.

The part I am stuck on is the width of the fabric for the underskirt
made or tulle/net. Usually it states a width i.e. 45" then underneath
it will state 60".

i.e. 45" 3 1/2 yards
60" 2 1/2 yards
This part however states 72", 108". but the amount of fabric is the
same.

i.e. 72, 108" 4 1/2 yards

Why does it have a comma between the 2 sizes?

Because of the way they cut it, you need the same amount of each width.
There are the normal width for tulle.

Also, I am struggling to find tulle/net in those widths! I can only
seem to find 54" wide. Any help please?

NET sometimes comes narrower than tulle. Tulle is much finer (for
bridal veils) and comes in wider widths.

For an underskirt, buy double the length in the net, and cut it in half
across the width. Sew narrow seam up the middle (net doesn't fray) so
you have one length 108" wide... Cut as per instructions...

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!