View Single Post
Old October 20th 17, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist
external usenet poster

Default OT Finally! Actively house shopping

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 12:12:12 PM UTC-4, Night Mist wrote:
As most of you may grok based on my posting history, the house I live in has been going all to heckies for better than a decade.

I have finally gotten my family to agree that we must move. What is more I have convinced them at long last that it will be more economically sensible to buy.

We are progressing!

Since we did not have credit cards or loans or any such long term debt, we had no credit rating.
Therefor the bank has had to go seriously old school in writing this mortgage.
This has resulted in mass confusion among the underwriters for the last couple of months.
You would not believe how many times I have had to say, "Check the papers, you already have that." because they are dealing with a whole bunch of pdfs of scanned documentation. I had coffee with the vice president of our branch when he had to scan in around half a ream of papers we brought in for him. Then eventually he had to drive down to Pennsylvania to have words with the supervisor in charge to get them on track and to quit asking for things they would know they could not have if they had gone through the files as they were supposed to. We went through three different household members on the mortgage because they kept making assumptions without looking at the paperwork. They said put the person with the largest income on, we did that.
Then they had to take her off because she had no credit rating and was not on any of the bills. Then they wanted me on, because I am telephone woman and they talked to me the most. Then they discovered I was one bill shy of the number they wanted. Finally we got DH on it because he has that extra bill (because gas company policy was outdated and they wouldn't put it in my name without DH's "permission", and we couldn't get both of us there at the same time because somebody had to watch the kids. Yes that _still_ burns my butt!)

We have finally got everything situated to the mortgage underwriters satisfaction. Now we are waiting for that last letter that means the lawyers run with it for a bit (title search and all that), and then set the closing date.
Our consumer contact guy keeps saying how "unique" this mortgage is to write. I keep telling him, not unique, retro. This is how it was done 20-30 years ago, before it was considered "normal" to live with crazy amounts of debt. Maybe I am weird, but I really really hate debt of any kind, and work intently to pay off any that I fall into as quick as I can.

Yeah, I am having to adjust to the idea of having a couple three decades of debt. Buying a house is not something you can do out of pocket though, unless you are really really rich or have some pretty unusual circumstances going on. I just keep reminding myself of all the money we will actually save, and the freedom we will have to do what we want with the place.
The fact that we will be warm and dry this winter, and can make sure we stay that way every winter hence forward, also helps a lot with my attitude adjustment.

NightMist
Ads