Old July 28th 05, 06:01 PM

Actually- my entire frame, stand and scroll frame, is made of oak- the
knob I need, originally, was of wood. What you are refering to as a
threaded metal rod, mine is a 5/8" or so diameter WOODEN threaded rod,
protruding about 3" long from the side bar of the scroll frame. You are
correct in that this is the part of the scroll frame assembly that
holds the frame to the vertical post of the floor stand, just mine is
wooden and threaded, not metal and threaded. I got my frame set in 1984
or '85 from the back of the CSCC magazine, maybe it was Bill's original
version, which later evolved into off-the-shelf metal parts. I know if
I could find a cabinet-maker/wood worker with an extensive shop, I
could probably have a new knob machined to fit, taking care to match
the threads on my scroll frame rod. I believe on my stand that the legs
knobs (again, wood to wood) are a smaller diameter, but I actually
never checked
I had a thought on the way to work- maybe a PVC nut (if there is such a
thing) from Home Depot or Lowe's would match the wooden threads, unlike
the metal threads.
Hey Fred- how about a manly opinion of this hardware stuff??!!
Anyway, thanks for all the ponderings on my behalf!
MM