Old December 12th 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

Default On topic: an author who "gets it"

"Ellice K." wrote in message
On 12/11/10 3:23 PM, in article , "Karen C
in
Calif" wrote:

Susan Hartman wrote:

I read this paragraph this morning, and immediately smiled and re-read
it, and re-read it again. Perfection!

"It was one of the pinafores Saffy had sewn when Merry first arrived,
made from a lovely piece of Liberty fabric ordered years ago, not
because Saffy had a project in mind, but because it was simply too
beautiful not to possess. It had languished ever since in the sewing
cupboard, waiting patiently for Saffy to find it a purpose. And now she
had."

I think that needs to be issued to every husband of a
stitcher/seamstress on the planet.

Actually, I will speak on behalf of the miracle that is my DH. Since I
understand his hockey dedication (and bless the fact that he doesn't
collect
game worns, etc) - he seems to be okay with my stitching & art stuff.

I understood my SIL's MIL's need to own a wall full of fabric; her DH
didn't, and mine was placated by the notion that my stash was only a
fraction of hers. (Of course, she'd been collecting several decades
longer....)

I think it's hard to understand anyone's "collection" - if it doesn't get
used. DH gets that it's like a library of resources - not for reading but
for other things. He does like to see some progress on the UFOs - or some
dynamic movement in the stash. However, he does mention that he's
trusting
me to know what's going on with the budget, and lately my resistance to
accumulating as we both know the tight budget here. Since he's hoping
I'll
actually make some success with the teaching/designing thing, he's okay
with
the stuff that seems to grow as I need things. And has generously agreed
let me use the "bachelor furniture" for my sewing stash - as there is a
good
cabinet with a wide shelved bookcase on it, and a long low dresser that
are
working well for fabrics, and things. He did recently remark - as I'm on
the way overdue get the house in order binge - "can we do something with
all
your sewing & stitchy stuff????" With a big grin - continuing with "as it
is
now on every floor, and every room in the house - except the guest room.
Go
figure.

WRT the book passage - it is so true that sometimes a thought/idea will
strike and it's wonderful to know you have just the right fabric/thread
that
you've been hoarding because you just knew there'd be a use for it.....

Ellice

My DDH never minded my having too much stash. He sometimes teased me about
it, and he was the one who encouraged me to do sample stitching way back
when, but he really didn't mind. I guess he figured that was what kept me
grounded.

Besides, he was known to have his own hobbies and I could give it right back
if he objected.

Lucille