Old May 8th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

Default Old dog, new trick

On Sun, 8 May 2011 01:13:39 -0700 (PDT), Sartorresartus wrote:
What I have always wanted to know, are tips about turning cicles. I
sew a straight (circular) seam, turn it through and it looks like the
wavy-navy. I find it so frustrating. I would love to make mats and
things, but they always turn out skewiff. I've tried understitching,
and lots of other things, but still, in the final pressing (not
ironing) they are just not round. Bleah!

How do you get a circle round?

Press it over a template. I'm assuming you're sewing something like a round
coaster here... Sew the two pieces together, after machine basting an area
in both circles for turning through -- this area is best on the straight
of grain (well, straightest you're going to get, as opposed to on
the bias g)

Cut a template of thin cardboard or file folder with the proper edge
curvature. Lay the template over the fabric, and press one layer of
seam allowance over the template, all the way around. Clip as needed.
Press the seam allowance flat towards the center of the circle.

Turn the project over and repeat the pressing on the other side.

Turn through the opening you left, and press again. Topstitch around
the edge to complete the project and close the opening.