Old May 8th 11, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Old dog, new trick

I'm betting Louise will enjoy the subject line since she's into new puppy
lifestyle. Anyhow, I just now happened Pati's tip on birthing quilts.
[ Pati wrote: OH, and a tip: when you are going to leave an opening to
turn
something. If you do a basting type stitch, by machine, on the
seamline of the area to be left open first. That is stitch through
single layers (or one layer and batting) . It really helps a lot. The
stitching helps keep the opening from stretching, and it gives you a
line to turn on. If you need to you can remove the basting, but often
it just disappears into the seam.]
Gee, Pati. I've birthed so many crib quilts and sometimes the opening
has warped and wiggled. Machine basting first really surely will stabilize
the area and prevent that. It's sort of like stay-stitching the neckline in
garment construction. What a super good tip. A million thanks. Polly