Old September 30th 03, 12:01 AM

Can off-the-rack clothes be tailored?

(2obvious)
snip
I wear a lot of T-shirts (very few button-up shirts). I'm willing to
invest the time and effort into learning how to tailor my shirts, but I
have no clue where to search for books or instruction. A cursory pass on
the Internet turned up nothing of value. Can anyone guide me in the
right direction? Is this even /possible?/
---
Sure it is. It's called altering your own garments. If you start with
a couple of practice Tshirts, you'll be good at it in no time.
I've tailored both men's suit jacket shoulders (not my favorite thing
to do), and narrowed suit lapels.
Altering T shirts is a walk in the park, but I warn you--results vary
with the machine you use. I highly recommend using a serger to alter
knits.
Let me recommend :
'Altering Men's Ready-To-Wear', by Mary A. Roehr. ISBN# 0- 9619229-1-5
I picked up my copy at Joanne fabrics, for half price, and there's
always ebay, Amazon, Hamiltonbooksellers, etc.
month, you should receive a sales flyer in the mail, with a 40 to 50%
off coupon. NAYY.
Cea