Old March 26th 10, 11:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
PhillyQuilter[_2_]

Default Press left, press right

I've thumbed my nose at the 'quilt police' as well. Like a lot of you
ladies, I come from a garment making background. When I started
quilting, I listened to the accumulated 'wisdom', tried to press all
to the dark side, tried to do it 'right' and decided that it was fine
if you only made square patch quilts. Now I mix and match side pressed
and open pressed seams depending on the block unit. The more
complicated the block the more I tend to press the seams open to
reduce the bulk, but if it is not necessary I press towards the side
that has fewer perpendicular seams. The only rule I follow is that the
pressing must be consistent among all the blocks for that particular
quilt and if I am still trying to decide which block should go where,
then the pressing must be consistent even if the block is rotated a
quarter turn.

Diana - PA

On Mar 26, 7:25*am, AuntK wrote:
On Mar 26, 1:27*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:

We've all heard the Quilt Police. *Press this way; press that. *Aim toward
the feed dogs, aim away. *Pin before and aft and in the middle. *Sew over
pins. *Don't.
* * I've declared myself an 'expert'. *For those of you who don't know, an
expert is someone 50 miles away from home with a briefcase.
* * Bringing forward my dress making experience and my heirloom sewing along
too - I have decided to ignore the rules and press my quilt piecing/block
seams open.
* * Yes.
* * I have.
* * Just in case that would make the seam endings weaker or more prone to
come undone, I've set my stitch length a little shorter.
* * Ta-Dah.
* * I've just make a quilt top of something so sweet: *Tweetie Bird on
bright yellow combined with a batik of Blue Jay blue. *Every ... need to
HOLLER he *corner. *Every one of them is pretty perfect.
* * Open pressing just works so much better for me. *Conclusion? * Let's all
go out and break some rules. *After all . .. there's a full moon. *Polly

Another 'open presser' here as well. *Again from the clothing
experience side of things. *And I agree, I like the flatter look of
the completed top that way. *Rarely have I had an issue with the ends
of the seams - mostly they are 'caught' by the next seam. *Your quilt
sounds adorable. *I have no idea how you can be so incredibly
productive and get so many quilts done so quickly! *I'm mightily
impressed!

Kim in NJ