Old September 9th 07, 10:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default Irish crochet (hooks, especially)

"Cece" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 7, 10:50 am, B wrote:
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:35:57 GMT, "Jan" wrote:
Barbara, my fine steel hooks are mostly Boyes but they are quite old and
haven't used them for several years so I hesitate to recommend them.
The
range of sizes is from 0 to 11 and not marked with mm sizes but the
smallest
(size 11) appears to be about 1 mm in diameter. I have used crochet
threads
in sizes 10, 20 and 30 and possibly others. Assuming your size 16 is
between the 10 and 20 I've used, then it seems to me that a .75 mm hook
would be too small for the size 16. I've never done any Irish crochet
but
it sounds fascinating.

The size 16 thread recommended size 1 mm but I tried both and liked
the result with 0.75 better. Irish crochet is supposed to be worked
rather tight. However, I do think that part of my problem is that the
hook part of the hook (if you know what I mean) is too small. I used
to have a wonderful old steel hook that was very fine but had a
decent- sized hook. Unfortunately I lost it on a trip.

I'm not familiar with the US hook sizes, but I think I need something
smaller than your size 11. I've seen smaller sizes on the internet,
but I don't want to spring for a set unless I've had some
recommendation on a good brand. I take it you like the Boye brand.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero
dot it.

The smallest U.S. steel crochet hook is size 14. 0.75 mm, according
to the Boye website
http://www.wrights.com/wrights/produ...ochethooks.htm
I used that size when crocheting with sewing thread. Sewing thread is
all size 50 now, whatever that means.

Surely not? In Britain we can get very many different sizes of thread.

http://www.amefird.com/worldwide_thr...comparison.htm

might help.

Mary