Old November 2nd 03, 03:28 AM
Janise Ross

Mirjam,
Thanks for sharing, what sounds like, a wonderful day!

Janise

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Yesterday i joined a painter friend , in traveling to the south , to
an opening of her exhibition in a Kibboets on the North of the Negev
desert, We drove easy , i navigated [ so that we won`t end up in the
Gaza Strip by mistake ], it was nice sunny , and the more south we
drove the warmer it got and we took off one shirt than the next shirt.

We reached the kiboets in time , Saw the out lay of the exhibition ,
and were asked to eat in the Dining Room . Now many Kibboet[s] have
left the communal eating, and eat in their private rooms, Not this one

in a well lit pleasant hall , many people came , sometimes with whole
families, took their tray of food , and settled down. the curtor
invited us to eat with her , and told us a bit about her own art work.

than we went to the gallery had a nice opening . People came in and
had questions etc,,, than we had the Gallery talk , here we were a bit
surprised , Curator forgot that there was some Other communal activity
and that many people were out there, thus the `talk` wasattended only
by a rather small number of people , but it was a good one .
Than we were invited to see , the Gallery of the History of the
Kibboets , which they call "Nostalgia" , it is situated in one of old
Children`s Homes. At the begining of Kibboets life [ it was sop till
the late 60`s] and i remember it from when we came to Israel .
Children lived with their age peers in one Children house , that
included sleeping quarters , a dining place a Class , all facilities
that were needed . For example the shower room had a closet where each
child had a shelve with his clothes folded on it ,,, of course all
children wore the same clothes or almost the same . Clothes shoes etc
were tagged with yoor name ,,, We spent most day time inthe House ,
And saw parents only for Quality time between 16-20 when parents came
with us and tucked us in ,,,, there were Night watchers who were
kepping an Ear on all those houses , around the 60s Kiboets parents ,
many of whom grew up in the " communal " houses , voted for letting
the children sleep with their parents again , falts were widened to
include a children`s rom as well . At the time the communal living
started it was essential to kids`s survival , times changed.
Thus we saw the litle gallery and i remembered my first years in
Israel , The Gallery included many embroidered wall works , it seems
that in this kibboets every birthday kid got an embeoidered wall
hanging with his name and names of class mates etc,,, i thought i
suggest an exhibition of those , to my gallery owner colleague ,,,
From there my friend and me took the way to Ashkelon [ a biblical
Ancient city] visited an other painter ,
All the time we reallt felt the difference in the air , so much drier
that Up north , so we had water all the time.
from there we dropve up to Tel Aviv , avoided the big stream of cars
going to the Memorial of the late Rabin , already 8 years to his
murder, and i picked up the train up to Haifa ,, quite a nice day !!!
of course the norther i rode , i put on more shirts ,,,, it is amazing
that our rather small country has so much different Climates ,
the exhbition should have included one of our Aprons , but curator
decided not to use it ,,,
mirjam