Old September 23rd 04, 09:54 PM
Karen Maslowski

This brings up another point; snap tape might be better just because of
the sheer number of times that it's opened in the course on one day of
wearing by a baby. Small babies are changed as much as 15 times a day,
which is a lot of opens and closes on those snaps. Since you're usually
using thin cotton interlock (no Polarfleece or other synthetics for
newborns, please), snaps can pull out more easily when they are not
embedded in a tape and then sewn onto the fabric.

Frankly, I'd use the snap tape with the nylon snaps for a newborn,
unless you make my favorite garment for that age, which is a long
nightie with a draw bottom. Nowadays, these are made with a piece of
elastic on the opening, and no strings, but they are by far the easiest
way to dress a small infant.

Karen in Ohio

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:
Tom:
My guide is my inner arm. I rub most things against the inside of my elbow
to test - and since I have extremely sensitive skin, it is a fairly good
indicator!
The snap tape that I have described beats out regular snaps (as in applied
individually) in that there are not as great pressure points. Ever noticed
the red marks on a baby's skin from the snaps of their sleepers? I had some
wonderful sleepers for my second daughter that snapped up the back and
across the butt. You just flipped her out of the legs to change. They were
absolutely wonderful and I should have copied them before passing them
on....Whichever snaps you use, just test them for pressure - that's all. I
use all kinds of snaps in my sewing and have the bruised digits to prove it
(turn my head in mid swing of the hammer when interrupted by children - and
hubby wonders why I prefer to sew late at night!). I use snap tape in
costumes because it is effective, quick, and user friendly for both the
sewer and the wearer.

other excellent advice snipped