Old December 19th 03, 08:41 PM
Ellice

On 12/19/03 2:56 PM,"Dianne Lewandowski" posted:

Wonder if it was dupioni? Shiny, slubby. Fine weave on the warp
threads. A WONDERFUL silk on which to stitch. I've used lots of it.
It softens up considerably after washing. I've never had a problem with
holes, and I rip out lots. grin Great for silk ribbon, which requires
large chenille needles.

Actually, I think it was probably the Silk Matka (I'm thinking it's from
India rather than Thailand - which is usually the source for Dupioni). This
link to the Berlin site fabric info has some pix:
http://www.berlinembroidery.com/fabrics.htm

It seems to be similar to Silk Dupioni.
ellice

FKBABB wrote:

but I would be very doubtful about a beginner
starting out on silk backgrounds, because silk is notorious for showing
needle
holes, and thus frogging is almost impossible. BRBR

I worried about this before I started the Berlin kit. The needle/pin hole
problem is another reason I've always stayed away from garment sewing on
shiny
silks. But, it turned out not to be an issue here. I didn't have to frog a
lot, but I did frog some. The original holes were barely noticeable (to my
pleased surprise) and in any case they were covered up by the new stitching.
The kind of silk she provided may have had something to do with this. It
wasn't a smooth, scarf weight silk, but something somewhat heavier, with lots
of slubs in it. (Sorry, I never can remember the names of the various silk