Old July 1st 04, 12:09 AM
Kandice Seeber

I have to say that I get emails asking about my photography pretty much
every other day. I have written tutorials, posted tips, helped people via
email, etc. etc. and it does get tiresome after awhile.
I *have* worked very hard to get good pictures, and I didn't ask for any
help. I researched it on my own and fumbled my way through it. I read
through the hundreds upon hundreds of tips posted in all the various forums.
My pics have evolved through the last few years. I started on a scanner,
and now I use a digital camera and software.
I don't have any real quick fixes or secrets - and people are kind of
disappointed when they ask and I list all the steps I have to go through to
get good pics. Some people write me back and say that they had no idea it
was so difficult and that they were hoping there was a small, quick secret
to it.
Just like selling on ebay, there is no quick small secret to success with
good photography. It's a lot of time and hard work.
I am a nice person. I try not to be proprietary with regard to beadmaking
technique or photography or any other aspect of my business. I'm not stingy
with the help - just ask the people I have helped in the past. Read the
tutorials I have posted in 8 million different places. But I am not so
excited about just giving away all my hard work and time by sending everyone
who asks a step by step list of what to do to get the same exact kind of
pictures that I can get. I already did that with my ebay tips and tricks,
and I *still* get people asking about it. I have to stand out somehow, and
my pictures are one way I stand out to my customers. There's so much
competition out there that one has to be exceptional in some way to achieve
success. Yes, my beads are pretty good. At least, I think so. And my pics
are really good, and I am proud of that. If you want pics that are as good
as mine, you have to work as hard as I do for them.
Wow. Sorry about the rant. Sometimes these things just touch on a nerve.
Carry on!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

This has come to my attention.....not because anyone here asked in the

last
week, but because of those who contact their fellow beadmakers asking for

tips.

If you don't know how to photograph your beads, learn. Google it.

Research
it. Do NOT email fellow jewelry-makers or lampworkers, asking them how to

do
it.

How in the world do you get the nerve to ask them to teach you how? Does
Angelina Jolie give lessons on how to be sexy to J.Lo? Hell NO. They are
COMPETITORS. Does Usher give Justin Timberlake tips on how to have a hit
record? NO! They are COMPETITORS.

How can you ask someone who's competing with you for customers to help you

do
this? Don't you realize you're asking them how to make you a BIGGER

THREAT to
their income?

SERIOUSLY. Are you even thinking at ALL???????? Do you go to the

girlfriend
of the guy you like, and ask her, "How can I get him to be MY boyfriend?

What
does he like in bed?"
~~
Sooz