Old July 1st 03, 07:55 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
Is it even possible for a 4-week-old infant to be awake for 18 hours?
She did nod off for 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there during the day,
but never for longer than it took for me to figure out she was asleep
and try to leave the room. Mostly, she cried and nursed all day. My
boobs are SORE!

Yes, it's possible. She's probably going through a growth spurt (there are
usually a couple of big ones around 3 weeks and again at 6). Are you using
Lansinoh on your breasts? Getting enough to drink? Are you sure she's got a
proper latch - check to make sure both the upper and lower lip are everted.
Have you tried wearing her down for a nap in the sling? If she's also crying
constantly, you might want to have the ped. check her ears - she might have
an ear infection. It's rare for a BF infant to have one, but you never know.
With all the humidity/rain/molds in the air, anything is possible.

E-mail me offlist if you want to talk more - I've BTDT, and recently!

Barbara