Old January 2nd 09, 10:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default Help?

On Dec 23 2008, 10:46?am, Peter W. Rowe
wrote:

?Plus, those settings you sent links to are commercially made,
probably with minimal hand work in order to keep prices low. ? It's quite likely
that the ebay dealer is just that, a dealer and seller, rather than anyone able
or skilled in actual stone setting, as would be needed if they were to be trying
to cut a seat for you before shipping the mountings.

I have actually gotten prenotched from them before (it's free - they
also do free sizing two sizes up or down) I know it's commercial -
that's all I can afford right now. :-) Soon I hope to get into PMC -
it will have a different set of problems setting-wise, but at least
I'll have more control and the opportunity to be creative.

And don't just let the jeweler "prepare" the settings. ?Let him or her set the
stone too. ?It's a total package, not a seperate job. ?Among other things, the
way the jeweler cuts the seat will be in part dictated by the method they will
use to close the bezel (hammered, versus burnished, or some combination
thereof.)

Thanks for all the advice and info!
Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous new year,
Judith