Old October 31st 16, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Joy Beeson

Default Has anyone ever MacGyvered way to have regular sewing machine hold thread cone?

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 11:31:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've always purchased 3000-yard thread cones and use them on my
regular sewing machine with the vertical spool holder. I just
slip a straw over it and then slip a chopstick inside the straw.
Voila - longer holder to fit my large thread cones!

I have only one cone of thread. I sewed a piece of tape to the base
and hung the cone point down from the curtain rod over the window
behind the electric sewing machine. This exposes it to ultra-violet,
but it's basting thread.

I sewed a short piece of tape to the cone, then pinned that tape to a
longer tape thrown over the curtain rod -- that would make it easy to
swap out cones if I had more than one.

Surprise extra: the base of the paper cone has proven to be a good
place to stash threaded hand-basting needles and discarded machine
needles.

My machine has a lever on the back that has a hole in it close to the
spool pin. When thread from a cone set in a cardboard box on the
floor is drawn through this hole this hole, it is directed into the
rest of the thread path. I used to sew from balls of thread bounding
around in the box, but I seem to have lost the knack of preventing
them from pulling unevenly on the thread, so I wind them off onto
spools -- after putting them into a box on the floor and threading the
machine as far as the take-up lever to leave both hand free for
operating the winder.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net